Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day Trip 'n

So, here I am alone at home, patiently waiting for Suzanne to be able to get on a flight home after spending the week with Kimberly, Mike, Megan and Henry, wondering how I should pass this vacant time. I know, I should of used this opportunity to do all the things I've been putting off, but, I'm not too motivated when I miss her. So, I decided I'd better post something. Here it is:

A few days ago, Grandpa and Grandy were feeling cooped up and restless and wanted to take a day trip. So we loaded them in the car and headed up Morgan canyon, and over Trappers Loop. It was beautiful.




It was really green and there was a nice blue sky. By the time we got to Huntsville the clouds turned black.



Then we went to the Monastery, and up and over Monte Cristo. Guess what the weather did there.



Remember, this is the first weekend in June! Global warming?



After the snow storm we drove down Monte Cristo to Randolph and made the mandatory bathroom stop at the little cafe next to the park. This is where we stopped when the kids were little and they getting to roudy in the car. We'd let them play in the park in the background, then have a fresh raspberry shake or hot go here.



We're always surprised that Bear Lake doesn't have any trees! That's why we never go there. It's pretty dull. Maybe if you had a boat or jet ski it would be fun. We forgot and left the boat at home. Mom was so disappointed, she wanted to water ski. So we drove around town, and a little way up the road we decided to turn around. The spot we chose was the entrance to a cemetery. It was up on a knoll, and this is the view. The colors of the lake were beautiful. Don't know what causes it to be so blue, but it's nice to look at, for a little while.



It was getting late so we drove up another steep pass and down the canyon to Logan. We spent the night at a Best Western, only because Logan doesn't have a Ritz Carlton or Peninsula hotel. Can you believe that? No five star hotels in Logan. Just kidding, Crystal.

We had a wonderful dinner at Hamilton's. It's on the north side of town, a big rustic building, with great food. I figure since I don't have any "kid shots" in this post, I can put in a "food shot". This is California Halibut. It's a nice fat piece of grilled Alaskan halibut covered with avacado and snow crab topped with homemade hollandaise sauce. It was tasty.



Suzanne's friend Emily lives in nearby Wellsville. We decided to drive by and check out their house. It was too early to stop in and say hi, so we have a house picture. I'm not sure how much property they own between us and the house. I hope a lot so their view isn't blocked.



On the last leg of our adventure we stopped at the Migratory Bird Refuge near Brigham City. Unfortunately, it was closed, but we drove around the outside boundary and got a couple of nice views and photos. Here's one. After that we went home, back to our regular lives. It was a great time.



And that's the way it is.

3 comments:

The Obergs said...

Wow, you guys were definitely in our neck of the woods, with the Ogden Valley, Monte (Taylor's family owns property up there and that's where we go camping) and Logan. Can you believe the snow?? That's why I'm always complaining about how cold it is. While Logan doesn't have 5 star hotels, it does have some good eats. You'll have to try Blackstone next time you're here, I think it's right up your alley. I'm always impressed with what an explorer/traveler you are. You find excitement in even the must dull of areas(i.e. Wellsville). Now I know where Kimmie gets it.

Alisha said...

Beautiful pictures! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun and I am sure that Grandy and Grandpa appreciate you taking them out and about.

Mike and Kim said...

I remember getting raspberry shakes at that little store, and the long ride. Looks like a fun weekend with Grandy and Grandpa. We can't wait to see you guys.