Friday, March 20, 2009

Birthdays (and a little BBQ)

Greetings, Last week Grandy and Suzanne had birthdays.



Grandy enjoyed her flowers.



We took a nice drive to Eden, UT and eat at Harley and Bucks. The drive goes over Trapper's Loop and by Snow Basin Ski Area where some of the events were held during the 2002 Winter Olympics. Then you drive around Pineview Reservoir to the tiny ton of Eden. This is where we had the fantastic Seafood Chowder and Crab Cakes mentioned in another post. That's why we keep coming back. That, and the good chance we'll run into our great friends Steve and Nadine Chapman who live just up the hill.



Everyone is excited to go inside and eat. Suzanne is a little shy back there in the shadows.



Grandpa had Cioppino. Cioppino is a fish stew derived from the various regional fish soups and stews of Italian cuisine. Cioppino is traditionally made from the catch of the day, which in the dish's place of origin is typically a combination of dungeness crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels and fish with fresh tomatoes in a wine sauce. It came in a large bowl with two huge pieces of garlic bread. The tomato white wine sauce was incredible.



Grandpa and Grandy eat every bite of the walnut, carmel cobbler with Tahitian Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.



Today, Dad and I did a major clean-out of their storage shed. It took all day. Mom wasn't doing too well today so Suzanne took her to lunch and stayed with her while we worked on the shed. The brown trunk dad is going through is the one he used during his CCC days.



Extra....Ellie and Henry at Frosts house last month.





Pat's BBQ, recently featured on Food Networks' Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, the big cooker on wheels.



Moist brisket with a good smoke ring, tasty potato salad and cornbread.



Local celebrities.

And that's the way it is...

3 comments:

Alisha said...

Such good times! Happy birthday to Grandy and Mom.

Mike and Kim said...

That looks like some good food. I'm especially susceptible to these pictures because I was just heading into my kitchen to make lunch with Megan on my shoulders, and we knocked down the light fixture. Until Kim wakes up and I can get access to our vacuum in the attic, the kitchen is off limits due to broken glass.

Happy Birthday, Suzanne and Grandy!

The Obergs said...

I knew I should have eaten lunch BEFORE I read your blog.... You should get a job as a food descriptionist (I'm sure it exists). I don't know how you do it, but I HATE seafood and you made it sound delicious! Oh, I just read Mike's comment, it sound like he agrees, hahhaha.