Monday, July 23, 2007

Our Visitor From The North




Last week we had our great visit from my brother David. He lives in Anchorage, Alaska with Susan and is a real artist and craftsman with wood.

I had to work all week while he was here so I missed a lot of the action. The main reason he came was to see our Mom and Dad in their new environment and to spend some much needed quality time with them. They went to Logan Canyon, Tony Grove, Brigham City (for lunch at Idle Isle) and Friday they picked up Suzanne and had breakfast at Lamb's Grill in Salt Lake, then up Big Cottonwood Canyon for a hike around Silver Lake which sits at over 9,000 feet elevation. Then back to SLC for the "must do" stop at Hire's Hamburgers. No McFadden is able to go through SLC without their Hire's fix. I'll bet Kimberly and Alisha and their families will pay homage there as soon as they land in Utah next week. Boy was I jealouse of that day!



Finally, on Saturday, David and I had our day. We went to breakfast at Moore's. I know the Frost Family Elders frequent Moore's. Then we headed north to Brigham City and west to the Bear River Bird Refuge. It was a beautiful morning, lots of sun and a little breeze. We went early to avoid the 100+ degree weather we've been suffering through.

Both David and I figured it was too hot and the wrong time of the year to see a good variety of birds. But of course, and fortunately, we were wrong. The most memoable were the pelicans. The hazy sky in the background is from the smoke from all our wild fires in Utah.







And the pelicans flying over a beautiful Blue Heron standing guard over his fishing grounds.









David came to our house and loaned us his expertice on designing another patio cover. He will send us the plans later and I will make an attempt and building it. When I say attempt, it isn't referring to is plans, it refers to my feeble building skills. Anyone want to help?





Now, we can't forget the food shot! How does cedar plank Bar BQ's Wild Alaska King Salmon sound? Mmm, mmm, mmm good. And we can't forget the Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs with a few Ball Park along the side.





Now for the family history pictures. This is under our wonderful Maple tree. Suzanne, Mom and David. Suzanne is a little grey because the BBQ smoke is blowing her way.







Here are the elders, and the reason we are all here today. Thanks for everything, Mom and Dad! We love you!








We even had Steven and Megan come visit and they got to see David and talk about Alaska, guitars, and the memories of the HOT trip to Washington DC for Dawn and Wade's wedding on a past 4th of July.






And finally, the reason for the trip, David with Mom and Dad. Oh, and eating a great meal as a family, two boys and their parents. It was a great visit!

3 comments:

Mike and Kim said...

Great pictures, the salmon especially looked fantastic. We're sad that we weren't here to see David. It's hard to tell if under that beard he looks like Dad, but we do see a lot of Grandpa in him.

Mike and Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Obergs said...

I kind of went backwards on your blog, so see the previous post for my comment